The Board is currently developing rules for the Structural Engineering Recognition Program for Professional Engineers licensed in Florida. The basis for the rules is Chapter 471.055, Florida Statutes, which will go into effect July 1, 2022.
Information on applying for the recognition will be posted here when it goes into effect.
The language of the new statute:
471.055 Structural Engineering Recognition Program for Professional Engineers.
(1) The board shall establish the Structural Engineering Recognition Program for Professional Engineers to recognize professional engineers who specialize in structural engineering and have gone above and beyond the required minimum professional engineer licensing standards. The board shall establish minimum requirements to receive recognition through the program. The board must recognize any licensed professional engineer who has successfully passed the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying Structural Engineering 16-hour PE Structural examination or any other examination approved by the board. In addition, the board may recognize any licensed professional engineer who specializes in structural engineering based on alternative criteria determined by the board.
(2) Upon application to the board, a professional engineer who has the minimum program requirements shall be recognized as a professional engineer who has gone above and beyond in the field of structural engineering. The board may not collect a fee for such application or for recognition by the program.
(3) A professional engineer who is recognized by the program may identify such recognition in her or his professional practice, including in marketing and advertising materials.
(4) Recognition by the program is not required for a professional engineer to practice structural engineering.
(5) The board shall adopt rules to implement this section.