As a Florida licensed professional engineer if you are no longer actively practicing engineering, you can apply to retire your license. Retiring your license means that you are willing to relinquish your license, not renew, and that you will refrain from practicing engineering and using your seal.

To retire your license, you must complete the Application for Retired Status (below) and submit to FBPE for Board approval. All applications for Retired Status must be approved by the Board. This requires that your name be placed on the Retired Status List on the Board agenda at each Board meeting. The Board meets in February, April, June, August, October, and December. Applications must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the Board meeting. The Board meeting dates can be found on the Calendar under Meetings and Agenda section of this website. During the renewal process, if you submit your Retired Status Application after Jan. 15, your license will show delinquent until the application is approved at the next Board meeting. Once you have been approved and your license is officially in a retired status, your licensure record will be updated to reflect “PE, Retired.” Retired licensees can refer to themselves as “Professional Engineer, Retired” or “PE, Retired,” but cannot engage in any engineering practice.

Should you decide to return to active practice, you will need to complete and submit a new application for licensure under the Florida licensing requirements in effect at the time you apply. Note: Your previously held PE number cannot be reinstated once retired. If your new application for licensure is approved, a new PE license number will be issued.

You can mail the completed form to FBPE, 2639 N Monroe St., Suite B-112, Tallahassee, FL 32303-4064, email it to, or fax it to (850) 521-0521.

If you are unsure about retiring your license, you may consider requesting to have your license made inactive. If you have questions related to either of these processes, please contact the Board office at (850) 521-0500, ext. 114.


If you are a Florida licensed engineer and are not currently practicing engineering in this state, but you do not want to retire your license, you can apply to change the status of your PE license from “active” to  “inactive.”

To change your active license status to inactive, you must complete the Application for Change of Status Form – Active to Inactive (below) and submit the $93.75 fee to FBPE.

Once you are granted inactive status, you will still be required to pay the renewal fee for each biennium that your license is inactive, pursuant to Rule 61G15-22.0002, F.A.C. You will not be required to take any continuing education hours.

Should you decide to activate your license, you will be required to submit the Application for Change of Status Form – Inactive to Active with all required documents, pay any additional licensure fees necessary to equal those imposed on an active status licensee, pay any applicable reactivation fees as set by the Board, and meet all continuing education requirements as defined in Rule 61G15-22.001, F.A.C.

If you have questions related to either of these processes, please contact the Board office at (850) 521-0500, ext. 113.


If you are a Florida licensee with an inactive license, you may apply to change your license status back to active at any time, provided you meet the requirements for active status, pay the application fee and any other applicable licensure or reactivation fees. In addition, you will be required to demonstrate that you have completed the 18 hours of continuing education if you hold a Florida license only. If you hold a license and practice engineering in another state, you will be required to show verification of continuous licensure in that state and complete one hour of Florida laws and rules continuing education.

To change your inactive license status to an active license status, you will need to complete the Application for Change of Status Form – Inactive to Active and submit the $93.75 fee to FBPE.

Note: Depending on the amount of time your license has been in an inactive status, we recommend you contact the Board office at (850) 521-0500, ext. 113, prior to submitting the “inactive to active” status change application. You may need to renew your license prior to submitting the application and provide a copy of your receipt to FBPE to request your status change.


If you are a Florida licensed Professional Engineer seeking licensure in another state or are an Engineer Intern seeking verification of the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, you can complete verification requests by either going to NCEES directly or submitting a request to FBPE using the form below. There is no fee for requesting licensure verification through FBPE.

NCEES Verifications

At MyNCEES, users can register for exams, download/purchase exam prep materials, apply for an NCEES Record, request license and exam verifications, track CPC, or have their credentials evaluated. To request verification from NCEES directly, log into MyNCEES, and click on “License verification” or “Exam verification” from the “Common Tasks” shown on the dashboard screen.

FBPE Verifications

To request licensure verification with FBPE:

  • Download FBPE’s Verification of Licensure form if one was not provided by the state of application.
  • Complete Name, Certificate/License Number, and Name and Address of State requesting the record of verification (the “To” section).
  • Mail the form to our office at:

Florida Board of Professional Engineers
Attention: Verifications
2639 N Monroe St., Suite B-112
Tallahassee, FL 32303

  • FBPE will complete the form from our records and forward to the state to which you are currently making an application. Please provide an addressed envelope to forward the completed verification form to the state of application.

If you have any questions, please contact the Board office at (850) 521-0500, ext. 116.


If you are a Florida certified Engineer Intern, Certificate of Authorization holder, or licensed Professional Engineer, and need a duplicate or replacement wall certificate, complete the order form below and submit it to FBPE for processing. The fee for ordering a replacement or duplicate certificate is $25.00.

Please allow four to six weeks for processing, printing, and mailing of the wall certificate. If you have any questions, please contact the Board office at (850) 521-0500.

Note: Open the PDF files using Adobe Reader, rather than your web browser, for the interactive forms to work properly.