After you have earned a Board-approved bachelor’s degree and passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, you are eligible to apply for Engineer Intern (EI) certification in Florida.

Complete the Application for Engineer Intern Certification and submit it with the $100 fee to the Florida Board of Professional Engineers. You also must complete the Board’s Laws and Rules Study Guide.


You must use a check or money order to pay your fees; do not send cash. Please mail the completed application and payment to: FBPE, 2400 Mahan Dr., Tallahassee, FL 32308.


Click to expand one of the categories below to see commonly asked questions and their answers.

If you have questions not addressed below, please contact the licensure analyst listed at the top of the column at right. Correspondence by email will speed up application processing. Please note: All email addresses are public records pursuant to Chapter 119.011(12), Florida Statutes.

Can I use an old application when applying with FBPE?

No. FBPE requires that the most current application be used. Current applications are available on the FBPE website.

Why do I need to provide an email address on my application?

All correspondence, including renewal notices and the FBPE newsletter, are typically sent by email.

Regarding your application, here is what will be sent to your email address by the Board:

  • Notice that your application has been received;
  • Notice of application status within 30 days from date received;
  • Laws and Rules Study Guide (which is required to complete your application); and
  • Notice of Approval or Notice of Denial.

Email addresses are public records pursuant to Chapter 119.011(12), F.S. If you wish to receive correspondence by email, a valid email address must be provided.

The Laws and Rules Study Guide is available in an online format only accessible via hyperlink. Even if you do not wish to receive correspondence by email, you must provide a valid email address in order to receive the secure hyperlink to the Study Guide.

Why must I provide my Social Security number?

Social Security numbers are mandatory pursuant to Title 42, United States Code, Sections 653 and 654; and Sections 455.203(9), 455.213(1), 409.2577, and 409.2598, Florida Statutes. Social Security numbers are used to allow efficient screening of applicants and licensees by a Title IV-D child support agency to assure compliance with child support obligations.

Social Security numbers must also be recorded on all professional and occupational license applications, and will be used for licensee identification pursuant to the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (Welfare Reform Act), 104 Pub.L.193, Sec. 317.

Social Security numbers are not public record, and cannot be accessed by the public.

How will my name appear on my certificate?

Your name will appear exactly as it appears on your application. Be sure that it is correct on your application.

Why do I need to provide my previous names?

Because records from your university or from previous exam attempts maybe in your previous name.

Is an Engineer Intern a license?

The Engineer Intern is a certification, not a license. You cannot call yourself an engineer. As a certification, it does not have to be renewed and does not require continuing education.

What is the fee for an Engineer Intern certificate?

The fee is $100.

You must submit the total fee with your application. FBPE accepts personal and business checks, cashier’s checks, or money orders. Checks must be made payable to FBPE. FBPE does not accept credit cards or cash.

See Rule 61G15-24.001, F.A.C., Fee Schedule.

Is any of the fee refundable?

No, the fee is not refundable.

Can I pay by credit card or over the phone?

No. FBPE only accepts personal and business checks, cashier’s checks, or money orders.

What are the education requirements for FBPE?

To qualify for licensure, you must be able to demonstrate a Board-approved engineering or engineering technology degree. If you do not have a Board-approved degree, then you must have your education reviewed by a Florida-approved evaluation company to demonstrate that your education is substantially equivalent to an EAC/ABET- or ETAC/ABET-accredited degree. The Board will make the final determination.

Please see Section 471.013(1)(a), F.S., and Rules 61G15-20.006, 61G15-20.007, or 61G15-20.008, F.A.C.

If I have already submitted an evaluation because I took my FE in Florida, do I need to submit another one?

We can use the one on file if it less than 5 years old.

If I have a credentials evaluation used for licensure in another state or for another profession, do I have to have a new one for my Florida application?

Yes. Because the educational requirements for Florida licensure may be different from those required in other states, you must have a credentials evaluation performed for Florida purposes, which ensures the evaluating agency uses the correct criteria and standards.

Does the university send FBPE my transcript, or can I?

You cannot send FBPE your transcript. Official transcripts must be sent by your university in a sealed envelope to the Florida Board of Professional Engineers, 2400 Mahan Dr., Tallahassee, FL 32308.

What happens if my official transcript and references are sent to FBPE before I mail my application and fee?

FBPE holds onto transcripts and supporting documents for up to six months. If they are not matched with an application within six months, they are deleted.

Do I have to take the Florida Laws and Rules Study Guide?

Yes, you must take the Study Guide and score at least 90 percent to pass.

How do I receive the Study Guide?

After your application has been received, FBPE will email you a link to the online Laws and Rules Study Guide. Follow the link and complete the Study Guide. Even if you do not wish to receive correspondence by email, you must provide a valid email address to receive the link; all email addresses are public records pursuant to Chapter 119.011(2), F.S.

Is the Study Guide available in paper format?

No, the Laws and Rules Study Guide is only available online via hyperlink.

What happens after I complete the Study Guide?

With each attempt to complete the Study Guide, your results will be sent directly to FBPE for inclusion in your file. You will receive a Certificate of Completion once you have successfully completed the Study Guide.

Will the Study Guide count as continuing education?

No, the Laws and Rules Study Guide does not count toward your continuing education requirements.

Can I submit my application for an EI certificate before I take the Fundamentals exam?

No, you must take and pass the Fundamentals of Engineering exam before you submit the application and fee.


Engineer Interns/FE Exam

Pam Lowery
Licensure Analyst
(850) 521-0500, ext. 112


Application and licensure fees are set by Rule 61G15-24.001, Florida Administrative Code. Fees are non-refundable except where noted. FBPE only accepts checks and money orders; do not send cash. They must be made payable to FBPE in the exact amount. No credit cards or cash are accepted.