The American Society of Civil Engineers’ annual Southeast Student Conference gathered college students together to compete in 17 competitions. The 2019 conference ran March 28-30 at the University of Tennessee and the nearby World’s Fair Park in Knoxville, Tenn.
The conference had a musical theme this year, “Rockin’ in the Smokies.”
- The popular Concrete Canoe, which included displays, a flotation test, and races;
- Sustainable Solutions, which replaced the steel bridge competition with a design-build event where teams use sustainable techniques to design and build a dog house;
- Enter Sandman, in which student teams use non-destructive techniques to search for voids in containers of sand;
- The Rocking Dead, in which teams put together water filtration systems using aggregates, membranes, minerals, and organics that they collect from the “campsite” (competition area); and
- Like a Rolling Stone, in which teams select a gravel-size rock, develop a rigorous set of open-channel hydraulic calculations, and attempt to roll the stone using minimal discharge in a water flume.
Photos from the highlighted competitions are below.