An applicant who holds a valid license to practice engineering in another state may apply for licensure by endorsement (comity), if they meet the current criteria/requirements listed in Chapter 471.015, F.S., Licensure and Rule 61G15-20.0015, F.A.C., Application for Licensure by Endorsement.Sample of a Florida Professional Engineer license

The Board will not issue a license by endorsement to any applicant who is under investigation in another state for any act that would constitute a violation of Chapter 471, F.S., or Chapter 455, F.S., until such time as the investigation is deemed complete and disciplinary proceedings have been terminated.

An applicant for licensure by endorsement, who previously held licensure in Florida and whose license became null and void because of non-renewal, must meet all current requirements for initial licensure. Such applicants, if otherwise eligible, shall be subject to disciplinary sanctions as a condition of licensure if it is demonstrated that they practiced engineering during any period their license was delinquent and/or null and void.


Endorsement with or without NCEES Records: A licensed PE, who is licensed and plans to practice in multiple states and participates in the NCEES’ Records program, may request that a copy of their records be submitted to FBPE. In addition, a licensed PE without an NCEES Record may also submit an Application for Licensure for Endorsement if they hold a valid license in another state and meet the current criteria/requirements listed in Section 471.015, F.S., and Rule 61G15-20.0015, F.A.C. All requested documents must be sent to the Board for completion of the application, including the $230 fee. Any omissions will delay the processing of the application, and due diligence is required to assure all required documents are forwarded to the Board.

The NCEES Records Program: The NCEES Records program allows engineers the ability to store and easily transmit professional records such as transcripts, exam results, employment experience, and references to any state board when applying for licensure in multiple states. Having passed the NCEES exam does not constitute having an NCEES record. A licensee must have a NCEES account in order to create their record documenting the following: education, exam and licensure information, work experience, and references. To create a MyNCEES account, visit http://ncees.org/supplemental/launch-login/. To see more information regarding the NCEES’ Records program, go to http://ncees.org/records/.

Temporary Endorsement: Applicants for the temporary licensure by endorsement are granted licensure for work in Florida on one specified project for a period not to exceed one year (refer to Chapter 471.021, F.S., Engineers and firms of others states; temporary certificates to practice in Florida). Applicants who hold a valid license in another state and meet the current criteria/requirements listed in Section 471.015, F.S., and Rule 61G15-20.0015, F.A.C., can submit a Temporary Endorsement Application with all required documentation and the $155 fee to the Board for approval.

Temporary licensure is limited to one licensure period only and cannot be renewed. If you plan to sign and seal under a business/company name, then the business/company name will be required to obtain a temporary certificate of authorization. Go to the Certificate of Authorization page under the Licensure and Application Process section to access the CA Temporary Certificate Application.


How long does it take to receive licensure in Florida by endorsement?

Applications submitted without NCEES records that meet all the qualifications of Florida’s education, exam, and experience requirements, generally take approximately six to eight weeks to finalize after all documentation has been submitted. Applications submitted with NCEES records that meet all of Florida’s education, exam, and experience requirements generally take 30 days or less to process after all documentation has been received.

What states does Florida have a reciprocal agreement with?

None. You must meet the same requirements for endorsement as for initial licensure in Florida. Please refer to the education requirement in Rule 61G15-20.007, F.A.C., and the experience requirement in Rule 61G15-20.002, F.A.C., regarding eligibility for licensure in Florida.

If I take the PE exam early in another state will I be able to get licensed by endorsement in Florida?

Yes, as long as you meet the educational, exam, and experience requirements for Florida licensure.

If I failed the PE exam three times or more, but passed on the final attempt and obtained licensure in another state, am I required to complete a "review course" to qualify for licensure by endorsement in Florida?

No, not when applying for licensure by endorsement. The rules are different for endorsement applicants than for those applying for licensure by examination.

I have a foreign degree that was accepted for licensure in another state by qualifying through the Washington Accord agreement. Does Florida recognize the Washington Accord agreement to qualify for licensure, or do I need an education evaluation?

Florida does not recognize any of the education agreements, such as the Washington Accord, for individuals applying for licensure through examination or endorsement. Interested applicants must have an education evaluation completed by one of the two Florida Board approved education evaluators. Currently the FBPE accepts evaluations from Josef Silny & Associates and NCEES Credentials Evaluation. You can find contact information for these evaluators on the Application Process page under the Licensure section.




Note: Make sure to open the PDF files using Adobe Reader, rather than your web browser, for the interactive forms to work properly.


Pursuant to 455.213(12), F.S., the Board shall waive the initial licensing fee, the initial application fee, and the initial unlicensed activity fee for a military veteran or his or her spouse at the time of discharge, if he or she applies to the Board for a license within 60 months after the veteran is discharged from any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. To qualify for this waiver, the veteran must have been honorably discharged. A written request for waiver and a copy of Form DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) should be submitted with the application.