BY ANTHONY J. FIORILLO, PE, SI, CGC, FBPE CHAIR (2017)
Whew! Licensure and Certificates of Authorization renewals are complete! In total, 31,722 licenses and 4,564 Certificates of Authorization were renewed. Online license renewal opened on Nov. 7 and closed on Feb. 28. More than a third of the total renewals occurred within the final week of the deadline and approximately twice as many as were received in the first two months of the renewal period!
Along the way, 7,295 calls, at an average length of nearly six minutes per call, were received by the Board office, plus another 3,365 calls that were transferred from the Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR). That’s a lot of calls and a lot of lost time! Clearly, the process needs improvement. Though I’m not at liberty to divulge the staff’s recommendations for changes at this point, I will offer a few lessons learned.
- Please consider renewing your license early. This would take a tremendous burden off the Board office. Incentives to those who register early in the next cycle will be considered.
- Please go to myfloridalicense.com to create a license account, if not already completed, and to renew your license online.
- Please visit the FBPE website https://fbpe.org/licensure/license-renewal/ or call the FBPE office directly at (850) 521-0500 with renewal questions. There is a PowerPoint and PDF presentation with detailed instructions on how to renew.
- Do not call DBPR! They will redirect your call to FBPE, and you will experience significant delays.
- At this time, online printing of your license is not available. Depending on the timing of the renewal, it may take up to six weeks for you to receive the license. Please plan ahead if you need your printed license for project submittals.
- Licenses may be verified at myfloridalicense.com
Don’t forget your continuing education! FBPE conducts a random continuing education verification audit of its licensees in the month of June following a renewal cycle. If you are selected as part of the audit you will be notified by the Board and be required to provide proof of completion of all hours related to your continuing education for that last renewal cycle. If you have any questions regarding record retention of CE hours or reporting please contact the Board office at (850) 521-0500, ext. 113, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I hope you found this helpful. Stay tuned for improvements to the renewal cycle in the near future.